Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Connecting to Reproductive Rights Blog

News Round Up (Jan. 1) Happy New Year!

Our blog was mentioned on the Reporductive Rights blog and here is the article where it gets linked

In the past few days I've found a whole lot of stories that I don't want clogging my bookmarks. Plus, my mac sucks. Just thought I would throw that out there.Excerpts from Reproductive Rights blog News Round Up (Jan. 1)- Happy New Year! In the past few days I've found a whole lot of stories that I don't want clogging my bookmarks. Plus, my mac sucks. Just thought I would throw that out there.

The American College of OBGYNs (great website, btw) is now recommending that ALL women be offered a screening test for Down's Syndrome. This less invasive test (less invasive than an amniocentises) is called a nuchal translucency test, which measures the fetus' neck width. The test can be done earlier in the pregnancy, which gives women options to terminate, or to prepare for the baby earlier.

I got an email giving me a heads up about a campaign to reduce maternal mortality in India. One of the things that struck me when I was in India was how little autonomy women had regarding their own health care. We had 300 reported cases of bride burnings the summer I worked in Delhi (that's 300 in Delhi alone), and likely hundreds more that weren't reported. The most interesting thing to me was that women had to ask permission to seek health services (often denied by their husbands, in-laws, or parents) and that women didn't have any expectation of privacy regarding their medical services if they were married. As readers know, issues regarding safe motherhood are not at all limited to India.RHRealityCheck.org wrote about a human rights challenge to Nicaragua's abortion ban.

For full article please refer to the link above..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

guys keep it up and link it more let the fire SPREAD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>